Saturday, May 3, 2008

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe



One of Todds first quotes from scripture is this:
Galations 5:9
" A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough"


How true is that! I know for myself... those words of doubt can come on in and suck any joy we might have, robbing us of peace that we find in TRUTH. One little lie can then turn into more....I know that this is my own vulnerability at times and he knows it! One negative thought can creep in and then another and before you know it, nothing is as it should be!


In the book Todd is speaking about some leader or home school teacher that could introduce a lie... and we know this to be true as well... but I also want to point out those moments of doubt and insecurities that creep in because we are not on guard.


My last post is evidence of this. I allowed myself to get to busy and not focus on the top priorities in life, and soon was feeling as a failure, having doubt of my capabilities and dropping out of the things I truly enjoy. I allowed myself to not prioritize in a healthy manner.... and soon felt overwhelmed mentally because I was just playing catch up and not accomplishing anything well. Thoughts of doubt, failure and uselessness began to fill my head.


Now, I did need to re prioritize, and accomplish my tasks on time and with consistency this is truth! The lie was believing I was useless and should no longer continue in these things I enjoy, because I am obviously not capable anymore, I’m a failure. I was about just about to quit 3 things that I have really found joy in, and connection but decided to go talk w/ my husband first.

We waded through what I was doing, how I was going about it, and what needed to be changed. it was enough truth to help gain some confidence again and get back on track. Reality, I was falling short, other reality; I was still useful, and capable. Total contrast to what I was thinking and feeling. That’s another thing that trips us up sometimes! Feelings.... they can’t be trusted... only fact and truth can be. If in doubt seek it out! Truth!


"Its about what you believe" John 8:44

He (the devil) was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is NO truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar.

“Lets Talk"

What do you hope to get out of this book? Encouragement and better understanding of myself and others. To glean from others experiences and be set free from any lies that may linger, and know and believe the truth!
On a scale from one to 10, how good a job do you feel you are doing home schooling?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


In the book, Todd also shares the lies we know:
Lies are not the truth

Satan is behind every single lie

Woman are prone to believing lies

If believed, lies become truth to the ones who believe them

Life is what you believe

Lies leave the believer feeling defeated

Another Lets Talk

1. What do you think might be some lies that you struggle with?
That I cant successfully teach my children.

2. Can you think of a time when you believed something so strongly, even though it wasn’t true, that you acted on it? Well, relating it to home schooling, I almost sent my son to public school in 3rd grade because I just couldn’t do it. I was not capable nor could I teach him and his soon to be in 1st grade sister. I was taking steps to accomplish this until God intervened. *Ü*

3. Right now, in your home school journey do you feel lost, weary or weighted down?
Why or why not?

No, not at this time I don’t. We are making progress and that is what is most important to me. Its not how much we get done, but the quality of work. I have felt a little lost this year... it has come and gone a few times... but as far as home schooling, I feel comfortable with what we do and are doing.

I hope you can go visit HOTM and see what others have thought about the book so far! I’m so thankful to Lori for leading this for us. This is my first real devotional online like this!

1 comment:

lori said...

I LOVE that you posted about what you read!! It gives me a fresh perspective and what I LOVE about doing a study!! so thank you!!!!
Your thoughts are great too...I LOVE YOUR ARMOR IDEA!!!

hmmmmm....I'm thinking on how to add that into the next post:)

You know....it's true, we ALL seem to fall for the "lies" but don't you think that if we wern't homeschooling we'd fall for different ones?? It's part of who we are as women....It's how the enemy attacks...he did it Eve and he's doing it today...in one form or another. It really does help to hear that other moms feel the same way about doing a "good" job!!

Thank you for this....you seem to HAVE it all together...and it's great to see that even a vereran has days of doubts!

Lisa.....awesome today!!
Thanks for the wisdom from Washington!!

hugs,
lori