Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Word for the Day *Ü*

Today in my in box... I had a note from my friend Darcy... you know... that adorable woman with the 3 adorable boyrbarians?? *Ü*

She came upon the word for today from Websters dictionary..... and today's word reminded her of little ole me... ( blushing and foot swirling on the ground and only my toe touching... can you picture it??)

See for about 7- 8 years... I have had the nickname Wahine. It was given to me by my friends Vince and Shannon when our families went on a 2 + week surfing vacation traveling down highway 101 following Washington's coast to Oregon camping and surfing along the way. We found a sticker for my van that said "Wave Wahine" and ever since then, I was Wahine. My husband Dan is Boardman... shocking isn't it??Our friend Vince became Spalty dog.... *Ü* and Shannon is Tiki....

I think we need to go to Hawaii or something... Maybe Coast Rica!! Waves are good... waters warm.... oops sidetracked sorry...


Back to my friend Darcy..... she sent me and email that had the page to Websters dictionary's word for the day in it. *Ü* and guess what it was??? Yup... Wahine...

Merriam-Webster Online Unabridged Learner’s Dictionary Word Central Encyclopedia Britannica

Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day


July 8

wahine

\wah-HEE-nee\

noun


Meaning


1 : a Polynesian woman
*2 : a female surfer

Example Sentence


“Make some serious waves this summer by learning to surf! Ridin' the swells is fab exercise and, well, what's cooler than a wahine girl?” (Girls’ Life, June 2005)



Did you know?


The word “wahine” came into English in the late 18th century from Maori, the language of a Polynesian people native to New Zealand; it was originally used for a Maori woman, especially a wife. The word is also used for a woman in Hawaiian and Tahitian, though spelled “vahine” in the latter. Enormous waves, which are perfect for surfing, are an attraction of the Polynesian islands. As the surfing culture solidified in the mid-20th century, and as more and more girls and women grabbed their boards, “wahine” took on the new meaning of “female surfer.”


How funny is that??? Im the 2nd defanition by the way.... Never been anywhere where the water is that warm... or if I was.. I was to far inland or up country! *Ü*




6 comments:

my5wolfcubs said...

Love it!
Lee

Skeller said...

Hello Wahine!
Just tapping my foot, waiting for your WW post to ... well, post. BHG! :-)
Hey, maybe you should do another road trip and end in SoCal. The waves are nice here ;-)

Unknown said...

Makes me think of that silly Geena Davis movie (Earth Girls are Easy). One of the guys kept asking - Where are the Wahines? -

Lisa~ said...

LOL... sorry.. I tried out the option to have blogger post my post for me....

We want to plan a road trip to Cali soon. Its been 4 or 5 years since we all went down to Cali.... My husband and I have been down a few times... but not the entire fam... soon! I hope... You my dear will be notified! I promise...

LOL Jenny I have not seen that movie but now I want to... just to hear the line! *Ü*

Skeller said...

Yay!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL! When I first read that word, I though he had something to do with swines. Sorry!. Heehee